Differences between hot and iced coffees

        Surprisingly, there are more differences in hot and iced coffee than one would have thought. The temperature is the obvious one. Hot coffee can burn your tongue and warm you up, while iced coffee is refreshing. Iced coffee can also be brewed hot or cold and hot coffee is only brewed hot. The difference in taste is dependent on how it is brewed. A hot brew produces a more acidic coffee as it has a faster brewing process. Cold brew is less bitter and more of a subtle taste. Iced coffee is said to be healthier as it being less acidic is easier on the stomach and intestines. Yet, hot brew is supposed to extract more antioxidants, whether hot or cold brew is healthier is unknown.  Cold brewing methods will extract more caffeine from the grounds due to the amount of time it spends steeping. The type of bean is another factor, but that is for a different blog.  Ice coffee takes longer to brew as steeping takes hours and hot brewing the coffee then chilling it will still take longer. My favorite is iced coffee, even in the winter I would rather have iced coffee. The only times I get hot coffee is normally when I get black coffee or I’m freezing and need something to warm me up. Even if I’m cold I normally go for tea or hot chocolate. I just typically would rather have iced drinks than hot ones. I never have patience to wait for my drink to cool, so I always burn my tongue taking sips too early. To help take care of a burnt tongue something cold needs to be put on the tongue directly after it gets burned. Heat can continue to burn the skin even after the heat source is removed. Iced water can be sipped on, a popsicle can be sucked on, applesauce can be used, or yogurts are all something cool that can help relieve the burn. Salt water can be gargled and swished in the mouth to help the burn, it helps to keep the burn safe from bacteria. Over the counter pain relievers can help. I have heard sprinkling sugar or putting honey on a burnt tongue can also help to treat the burn. Taste buds can be burnt off, luckily they grow back. There will be irritation and pain involved when healing, but you will experience some of that no matter the degree of the burn. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Places around the world I have gotten coffee from!

My favorite way to make espresso